Saturday, October 27, 2007

The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks

I found a new blog: The “Blog” of “Unnecessary” Quotation Marks Very funny, as well as providing a useful service. I know, I know, a lot of people get highly annoyed at what they call grammar nazis, but I say tough. Or, make that "tough."

Other things that annoy me: your and you're. Come on, we're not all that damn ignorant, are we? I've seen the misuse of your printed on signs! And get that glassy eyed stare when I've pointed it out. I might as well have been talking about flying saucers, from the look of dazed unawareness on their faces.

For the future: your is possessive, you're is used like this: You are ignorant of the proper uses of your and you're.

While I'm on this rant, stop using like. I have to stop using like, and I'm 53 goddamn years old. Bad habits are easy to pick up and harder to break. I realize this is a pointless plea since humans in this culture have been abusing the language for a long time now. But please, try. You didn't "go to the store, and I was like, amazed because like, they had all these great sales that were, like, really awesome!" Okay, were they like awesome, and were you like amazed, or were you amazed, and were the sales awesome? Ah, never mind.

No comments: